|Programme Duration:||3 academic years – full-time studies|
|Programme Workload:||120 CP / 180 ECTS CP|
|Admission Requirements:||Master’s degree in Economics or Managerial Science;
applicant’s Doctoral Thesis research proposal and discussion on it;
examination in a foreign language (English, German, or French)
|Obtainable Degree:||Doctor of Economics|
|Place of the Programme Implementation:||Daugavpils University, 1 Parādes Street|
|Forms of the Programme Implementation:||full-time studies|
|Programme Director:||Dr.oec., Olga Lavriņenko
|Study course descriptions||Study course descriptions|
The aim of the doctoral study programme “Economics “is to train highly-qualified specialists for independent academic, research and practical activities in the science of economics, in its sub-branches “Regional Economics” and “Finance and Credit”.
The major tasks of the doctoral study programme (further DSP) are:
- to give students of the programme knowledge corresponding to the contemporary level of economics in the sub-branches of regional economics and finance and credit
- to acquire contemporary research methods in economics;
- to create optimal conditions for doctoral students’ research – opportunities to work in the library, to use modern information and communication technologies, regularly participate in scientific conferences in Latvia and abroad, have in-service training in other universities and research centers, publish their papers in internationally reviewed scientific editions;
- to have practical training in conducting scientific research and teaching in a higher education establishment;
- to provide conditions for developing and defending the doctoral thesis;
- to promote the introduction of the latest findings and theories in economics in state and local government institutions, organizations and commercial companies.
As a result of the programme’s acquisition, the graduate will acquire and be able to demonstrate:
Students are able to demonstrate that they:
- know and understand topical scientific theories and findings in economics;
- know research methodology and contemporary research methods in the branch of economics, including sub-branches of regional economics, finance and credit;
- know terminology of economics in English.
Students are able to:
- independently evaluate and select methods adequate for the scientific research in economics;
- apply the acquired theoretical knowledge to the particular research theme;
- at conducting an original research, contribute to expanding the scope of knowledge or to creating a new understanding about the current knowledge in economics;
- critically analyze the obtained research results, prepare them for the presentation at international conferences and publications in internationally reviewed editions;
- regularly improve scientific qualification, implement scientific projects, carry out research and development tasks in various institutions and organizations.
Students are able to:
- solve important tasks relating to research or innovations in the branch of economics by making independent, critical analysis, synthesis and evaluation;
- independently put forward the research idea and relate the research theme to topical development tendencies in theory of contemporary economics;
- use the opportunities provided by modern information and communication technologies to achieve the research goals;
- plan, structure and manage large scope scientific projects, including international ones.
Doctoral students have possibilities:
- to publish their articles in the journal “Regional Report”, „Social Sciences Bulletin” and the annual collections of research articles;
- to participate in annual Doctoral students’ scientific conferences:
- in 2011 on the theme “Development Strategy of Inter-Regional Economic Integration in the EU Conditions”;
- in 2012 on the theme “Influence of Financial Capital on the Improvement of Competitiveness of Regional Economics”;
- to have in-service training in the universities and research institutes in Lithuania, Poland, Germany and other countries;
- to receive scholarship if the student studies for the state budget means.