Community and Establishment Administration
|Programme Duration:||Without obtaining professional qualification:
2 years – part-time studies.
With obtaining professional qualification:
3 years – part-time studies.
|Programme Workload:||60 CP / 90 ECTS (without obtaining professional qualification)
100 CP / 150 ECTS (with obtaining professional qualification)
|Admission Requirements:||Professional Bachelor’s degree in Economics, Finances, Management, Business and/or second level professional higher education in Community and Establishment Administration (programme amount 60 CP);
Higher academic education or professional higher education of the second level (programme amount 100 CP);
|Obtainable Qualification:||(only for students who acquire the programme for obtaining the qualification in the needed scope, depending on the specialization)
the 5th level professional qualification – director of enterprises and institutions
|Obtainable Degree:||Professional Master’s Degree in Community Management|
|Place of the Programme Implementation:||Daugavpils University, 1 Parādes Street|
|Form of the Programme Implementation:||part-time studies|
|Programme Director:||Associated professor, Dr.psych. Irēna Kokina|
|Study course descriptions||Studiju kursu apraksti|
The aim of the study programme “Community and establishment administration” is: to ensure professional Master’s studies rooted in the fundamentals of sciences, after the completion of which the students would be able to carry out sustainable management of state and municipal institutions and other establishments and ensure development of society and institutions in accordance with the international, national and community interests and corresponding to the professional standard of a ‘director of enterprises and institutions’.
Objectives of the programme:
- To come forward with the essential content for the functioning of the state and municipal governing bodies, which would also promote the development of the system:
- Providing an opportunity for students to form a uniform concept of state administration structure and functions;
- Developing students’ ability to analyse and evaluate problems and their related contexts, focusing on their eligibility in the context of the legislation currently in force, and select the theoretical foundation for solution of these problems by integrating theoretical conclusions of various sciences;
- Developing a professional need to critically assess and evaluate own activity and decisions in the context of Latvian and EU developmental tendencies;
- To provide such type of organization and reciprocity of the study programme which would enable acquisition of practical experience which is necessary and essential for those working in the sphere of state and municipal institutions;
- To promote the development of professional abilities to realise professional functions at state and municipal governing bodies and involve in implementation of the policy of this sphere and improvement of its practice.
- To educate specialists who would hold fifth-level professional qualification in labour security and protection, promoting their competitiveness in the changing socio-economic circumstances;
- During practical tasks and practice placements, to develop and strengthen the necessary professional skills and acquirements, as well as perfect the skill of independently organising research, obtaining and processing data and writing research reports.
- To promote cooperation between students and the academic staff, by involving students in research work and projects financed by the funds of EU or the Republic of Latvia;
- Strengthen the links of Daugavpils University with municipalities and enterprises of Latgale region;
- To provide the matriculated students with a chance to acquire practical skills of working with modern research and measurement equipment and IT products (hardware and software) which meet the EU requirements and ISO standards and are in use in the sphere of labour protection;
- Constantly to update, replenish and improve the scientific, informative and material-technical basis of the study programme;
- To realise the above-mentioned objectives by involving in programme implementation qualified academic staff from DU and other foreign and Latvian practitioners from the branches of labour protection and security techniques.
As a result of the programme’s acquisition, the graduate will acquire and be able to demonstrate:
- recognises the conception of sustainable development as a basis for community and establishment administration;
- is able to identify and structure social problems, understands the interplay between the economic, social and cultural environment;
- is familiar with the normative acts regulating community administration and the institutional system of the Republic of Latvia and the EU, knows the principles of administrative management;
- understands the variety and mutual links between administration and its basic functions (planning, organisation, keeping personnel files, motivation and control);
- demonstrates in-depth knowledge in administration of personnel, production/services, management information systems, marketing and financial processes; economics; the legal issues in labour relationships and labour protection;
- is familiar with the methods of quality assessment of administration (in accordance with the quality parameters and indicators stipulated in the normative acts of the Republic of Latvia and the EU);
- is familiar with the mathematical methods of data analysis and knows how to obtain the information necessary for community and establishment administration by using the research methods applicable to information and management science and by critically evaluating own activity in accordance with specific situations.
Skills: the students are able to
- apply in decision-making the practical skills and theoretical knowledge acquired during the studies;
- structure problems, take informed decisions in cooperation and find solutions to the local and global issues in administration, assume responsibility for own contribution to decision-making and for the joint action and its consequences;
- organise the control of the quality of administration, analyse the obtained results, prepare reports, prognosticate and model future situations by using specific IT products;
- demonstrate critical understanding of the mutual links between persons, geographical locations, processes and the environment and show comprehension of the impact of local activities and events on community and establishment administration on the local and global levels;
- demonstrate critical understanding and respectful attitude to the variety of administration contexts and to social justice as the basic element of sustainable development of administration and human wellbeing, and demonstrate the ability to actualise it;
- elaborate and implement projects promoting the development of community and establishment administration;
- prepare and communicate to the society information related to the functioning of institutions and organisations;
- give a public performance, communicate and substantiate own opinion;
- work in a team (group);
- plan and organise own work and the functioning of the structural unit.
- Is able to use own knowledge and understanding in a way that testifies of a professional approach to own work and competence pertaining to the issues of community and establishment administration;
- Demonstrates adapting to new situations, openness to changes and readiness to work in previously unforeseen and changing circumstances;
- Is aware of own professional identity, able to independently plan and direct own professional development and perform self-evaluation of own professional activity;
- Is aware of own cultural and spiritual identity and belonging to a state, and demonstrates critical understanding and purposeful action to become an informed, active and responsible citizen and a professional manager of institutions.
- to base own professional activity on the principles promoting sustainable development;
- to observe the norm of communication culture and professional ethics;
- to strive for broadening of own knowledge and skills according to one’s professional sphere;
- to keep up with the most recent Latvian and foreign periodicals, study and scientific literature, as well as the most topical tendencies in management issues.