2 study years (full-time studies with professional qualification);
|Programme Workload:||80 CP / 120 ECTS (with obtaining professional qualification)
60 CP / 90 ECTS (without obtaining professional qualification)
|Admission Requirements:||Professional Bachelor’s degree in Law and/or lawyer’s qualification or
Professional Bachelor’s degree in Law or
2nd level of professional higher education in Law without lawyer’s qualification
|Obtainable Degree:||Professional Master’s Degree in Law|
|Place of the Programme Implementation:||Daugavpils University, 1 Parādes Street|
|Form of the Programme Implementation:||full-time studies|
|Programme Director:||Associated professor, Dr.iur. A.Baikovs|
|Study course descriptions||Studiju kursu apraksti|
The aim of the study programme: to prepare highly-qualified professionals in the sphere of law for the needs of Latgale region in line with the integration of Latvia in the European Union by granting the acquisition of extended knowledge and skills necessary for the sphere and specialization that prepares students for innovative, research and pedagogical work in the sphere.
The objectives of the programme:
- facilitate well-rounded personality development by providing extensive knowledge in the public, economic, political, philosophical, and international sense;
- develop students’ ability of analytical understanding of law both at the national and European Union level and applying laws and other normative acts;
- secure an opportunity of acquiring in the process of studies the practical innovative and top-level work experience that is necessary for work in legal institutions and private enterprises;
- facilitate research work in the science of law, acquire innovative and project work skills;
- elaborate and defend master’s thesis;
- facilitate students’ motivation for further improvement of their education level and constant perfection of professional qualification.
By successful fulfillment of the study programme demands, students extend their knowledge aboutthe recent findings of the theory of law and the further development of the field in Latvia and foreign countries,in the selected sub-sector, pedagogy and psychology. Acquire skills in identifying legal issues and challenges of research and study activities; different legal approach to comparative analysis, complex conflict resolution.
- students are familiar with international, EU and the Republic of Latvia laws and institutional framework;
- understand the law at the sub-sectors and the relationship diversity;
- understand the interaction between economic, social and legal environment community development activities;
- aware of the sustainable industrial policy and the development concept as a basis for a correct application of the norms of subjective rights;
- able to demonstrate the law chosen sectors and sub-depth and specialized knowledge, as well as key concepts and understanding of causal relationships;
- able to demonstrate the interdisciplinary aspects inherent expertise, as well as the corresponding concept and understanding of regularity.
- organize one’s independent work;
- apply the practical skills and theoretical knowledge in designing and making a decision during the study process;
- prepare and use the information in the field of legal science;
- identify the main tasks of the legal science, and separate legal science sub-sectors;
- explain and discuss the challenges of the various sub-sectors of science;
- evaluate and critically analyze Republic of Latvia and international regulatory frameworks in different sub-legal science;
- study the results of analysis, prepare reports, envisaging and modeling the future situation, using normative regulator;
- independently formulate and critically analyze complex scientific and professional issues;
- develop the draft normative acts;
- prepare and provide the society with the science-related information;
- speak, and forcefully express one’s views;
- work as a team (group);
- plan and organize the activitiesof the structural units;
- able to show legal and law-specific skills in handling various challenges in formulating judgments and making justifications.
In addition to bachelor’s skills, professional master is able to communicate complex issues in both academic specialist and non-specialist environment, independently, critically to formulate and systematically analyze complex practical problems, independently continue one’s skills development and specialization.
- seek to improve one’s knowledge and skills in accordance with the sphere of activity;
- keep track of the latest Latvian and foreign periodicals, educational and scientific literature, as well as current trends in planning their own practical work.
Students are able independently:
- be able to use their knowledge and understanding in a manner demonstrating a professional approach to their work and their competence to the legal norms and legal enactments, subjective rights protection;
- able to base on sustainable pronciples developing professional activity;
- able to meet communication and general legal and cultural norms of professional ethics;
- obrain, select and analyze scientific and educational literature, scientific papers, including Internet sources, court practical materials;
- access to information and communication technology updates and see the basic use of options in their professional and research work;
- integrate the various disciplines (economics, political science, sociology, psychology) knowledge;
- evaluate one’s professional impact on society;
- with understanding and tolerance consider other specialists and people’s views and their effects;
- demonstrate an understanding and responsibility for personal performance accuracy and scientificity principles;
- compete in the labor market by offering one’s knowledge and skills.
Professional and academic competence. As compared to the competences of bachelor level, the holders of professional master’s degree have acquired extended theoretical knowledge and research skills that they are able to use forind ependent research activities, solving professional problems and selecting ways of their solution, understanding complex issues and correspondences, matching the general and the particular both in the practical and research context.
The holders of the professional master’s degree are characterized by special knowledge and profound understanding or a wider academic perspective, and new (higher level) academic competences.
Practical competence. In addition to bachelor’s level competences, the holders of professional master’s degree are capable to independently make responsible decisions making in their sphere of studies, seeing in perspective and developing practical approaches in their sphere by using scientific, theoretical and/or experimental methods and recent trends of development, understanding complicated issues and correspondences, matching the general and the particular both in the practical and research context.